Wembley Stadium has become the largest venue to be awarded the prestigious 3 Star Industry Green certification for its commitment to environmental sustainability.
Industry Green is a certification of environmental sustainability achievement across the creative industries, set up by environmental organisation Julie’s Bicycle in partnership with the Environmental Change Institute of Oxford University.
It is recognised as the leading mark of sustainability within the creative industries. Three stars is the highest possible rating and Wembley joins just five other arts and cultural organisations in holding this status.
Some of their achievements throughout the past year include:
- Reduced overall emissions per performance per seat (from energy, water, sewerage, waste and business travel combined) by 10 per cent
- Reduced energy use emissions per performance per seat by nine per cent
- Reduced emissions from business travel by 10 per cent per performance per seat
- Reduced total waste volumes by 17 per cent
- The stadium’s work to promote and encourage lower carbon travel to work, such as Bike Week, have seen an increase in the numbers of staff taking travel card loans and registering on the Cycle to Work scheme.
“The Green Team at Wembley Stadium has been working towards achieving the 3 Star Industry Green certification for the past four years and it is testament to the ongoing work that has been carried out by the staff that we have achieved this award,” said Wembley Stadium MD Roger Maslin.
“Through the implementation of an environmental management system the Green Team at the stadium has tackled the environmental impacts to make improvements in areas such as energy efficiency and waste management. This has been communicated with audience and event owners to engage with them to review their activity as well.”